What We Do
The DC Regional Gay-Straight Alliance Network harnesses the power of gay-straight alliances (GSAs) and LGBTQ students to make schools safer for all. The DC Regional GSA Network is made up of high school and middle school GSAs, college GSAs, GSA members and student leaders, and LGBTQ and ally students. We also connect with and provide assistance to teachers, staff, administrators, community members and partners.
What's going on at the DC Regional GSA Network?
- SMYAL visits GSAs at local schools in DC, MD and VA to conduct leadership trainings and workshops specifically tailored to your GSA. Request a training.
- We meet with our Youth Council to help them plan their campaigns in schools.
- Ready to join other youth for a four-day retreat learning how to impact your school? Register and learn more about Activist Camp.
- Other Upcoming Activities and Events:
- GSA Leadership Summit
- Leading with Pride LGTBQ Youth Conference - a great place to network, learn core leadership skills, hear about LGBTQ issues, and pick up new resources.
- Advocacy Day - Working together with other LGBTQ youth to take the issues in your school to your government for some face-to-face advocacy!
Resources to Help You Start, Strengthen, and Sustain your GSA!
- Leadership trainings for your GSA members: We'll visit you at your school during lunch, after-school, or whenever your GSA meets and train your GSA on a variety of different topics.
- Help with event planning and activities
- Safer-sex workshops at your GSA meetings
- The GSA Advisor Handbook
- Guides on how to run campaigns in your school
Connect to the Network
If you have any questions or want to learn more, please contact the programs team: