The health and wellness of our community are top priorities for SMYAL. In light of public health concerns related to COVID-19, all SMYAL programs will be moving to virtual platforms as of Monday, March 16th.
Should you need additional assistance, please contact email@example.com.
SMYAL will continue to be here for you.
Join an Upcoming Virtual Program
SMYAL’s daily virtual programs are designed for LGBTQ youth ages 13-24 who are looking for a space to connect with community.
Daily Chat Rooms: Monday through Friday at 11 am and 1:30 pm
SMYAL’s daily chat rooms are designed to provide LGBTQ youth with topic-based support groups. Here, you can connect with your peers, build community, and find the support you need. Chat rooms will be hosted on Discord. Follow the instructions below to join an upcoming chat.
Drop-In Programs: Tuesday through Friday from 4-7 pm.
SMYAL’s drop-in programs are open discussions and activities where you can connect with other LGBTQ youth through movie nights, games, and other fun activities! Drop-in programs will be hosted on Zoom. Follow the instructions below to join our drop-in programs.
Daily chat rooms can be joined through Discord at 11 am and 1:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Discord is a text-based discussion space that can be joined by computer or app on a smartphone.
Computer: Visit https://discord.gg/nGjHXn6
App: Download “Discord” from the App Store
Steps to joining:
- Click https://discord.gg/nGjHXn6
- You will see a page that says “Samia_any/all invited you to join SMYAL Virtual Chat Space.” You can either create an account or continue with a one-time username,
- Create a Username: YourName_pronouns
- Create an Account: Enter an email and create an account so you can rejoin a group later. You do not have to create an account to be in the chat.
- Already Have an Account? Select this option and log in to your account
- When you enter the chat, you will be greeted by a welcome message directing you to fill out a Google Form with your Discord username, as well as their name, pronouns, and location. Once you’ve done this, a moderator will add them to the private virtual chat space.
If you are joining on a smartphone, you will be directed to a page that says “Samia_any/all invited you to join SMYAL Virtual Chat Space.”
- Click on “Accept Invite” and download the app.
- Create an account and follow the steps above.
Daily drop-in programs will be hosted through Zoom from 4-7 pm Tuesday through Friday.
Zoom is available on computers, smartphones, and cell phones. It will allow you to either video chat, call-in, or type responses.
Computer: Visit https://zoom.us/j/5620223708
Phone: Call +19292056099 and enter 5620223708#, when prompted.
App: Download ZOOM Cloud Meetings in the App
What You Need To Join a Program
- ~An internet connected computer, laptop, or device
- ~Your meeting ID Number
- ~A headset or ear buds (should you want to keep your conversation private)
- ~A phone (if you’re unable to receive audio via your computer, laptop, or device)
How to Launch Zoom and Participate in a Program
- ~click on the Zoom link provided, or
- ~go to the Zoom web site at www.zoom.us and click on “Join a Meeting” where you can enter the 10- digit Meeting ID number. Audio is integrated in the meeting, or
- ~participate via audio-only if a web- connected device is not available. You can also call the SMYAL Zoom phone number to participate on the phone.
For more information about how to use Zoom, please visit this website.
Virtual Program Offerings
SMYAL programs will move online where you will be able to connect with community, find support, and talk with your peers.
Virtual Drop-In Center Programs
Daily Chat Rooms
Q Chat Space
Service navigation, connections to resources, as well as guidence for youth-serving professionals will be provided, including:
Service Navigation and Referrals
Sexual Health Resources
GSA Support and Youth Council
Montgomery County Service Navigation
Call the SMYAL Care Navigation Hotline to get connected to these services and more!
Community Resources During COVID-19
SMYAL has compiled a list of community resources and services for LGBTQ youth, their caretakers, and other youth-serving professionals based in the DMV area.
We will continue to update this list as more resources become avaialble. If you know of a resource for DC, Maryland, or Virginia that is not listed here, please contact Samia.Lalani@SMYAL.org.
Access to Food and Meals
Mental Health Services
Tips for Caregivers/Parents