A Place To Live, Learn, and Grow
For more than 30 years, SMYAL has served, supported, and enriched the lives of LGBTQ youth in the Washington, D.C. metro area. Despite our tireless efforts, a staggering 43% of homeless youth identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, and queer. At SMYAL, we are committed to doing more.
This is why we are beyond thrilled to be launching a new transitional housing program for LGBTQ youth.
Designed to house, empower, and equip our homeless LGBTQ youth community, our housing program will include wrap around services to support the youth in residence. Some of these services include the list below.
- Case Management – development of personal action plan, weekly check-in meetings, and crisis navigation
- Supportive Services – medical care, mental health services, and self-care support
- Skill Development – education, job readiness, and life skills such as cooking, budgeting, etc.
- Social Support – community outings and access to LGBTQ youth networking
- After-Care Support – open line of post-program communication between the youth and their case manager for up to 12 months.
The details are still being finalized but stay tuned for more information on how the program will operate and how you can help, including by donating to support this new program initiative.