SMYAL (Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders) supports and empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in the Washington, DC metropolitan region. Through youth leadership, SMYAL creates opportunities for LGBTQ youth to build self-confidence, develop critical life skills, and engage their peers and community through service and advocacy. Committed to social change, SMYAL builds, sustains and advocates for programs, policies and services that LGBTQ youth need as they grow into adulthood.
SMYAL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental handicap, or political affiliation.
Major Gifts Officer
SMYAL is excited to welcome a talented, motivated fundraiser as a Major Gifts Officer. This person will round out the three-person development staff, which is supported by a committed group of staff and Board leaders. SMYAL’s revenue budget is $2.44M, which includes government support, foundation and corporate foundation grants, events and many generous individual donors. The Major Gifts Officer will be a valued team member leading the effort to bolster individual gifts of $1,000 and more.
- Manage overall major gifts program to ensure that program exceeds revenue budget goal.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals who give or have the capacity to give $1,000 or more per year by highly customized correspondence, phone calls, and face-to-face meetings.
- -Develop strategic plans for targeted prospects that move individuals through the donor cycle ensuring timely and purposeful upgrades.
- -Maintain accurate moves management records and donor information in eTapestry, our donor database
- -Coordinate staff member engagement in major donor prospecting and stewardship efforts.
- -Personally manage a portfolio of major donor prospects and members and coordinate with other development department staff members and Executive Director on their outreach strategies and success.
- Strategically engage higher level major donor prospects (donors at $10,000+) including moves management of current major donors to leadership level donor levels.
- -Create tailored events and strategies to recruit and steward donors at the $10,000+ level.
- -Identify and recruit new higher level major donor prospects outside of SMYAL’s existing donor network
- Assess and expand the major gift donor pool by building relationships, identifying new prospects, and acting on data and prospect research.
- -Ensure that major donor and prospect engagement is effectively tracked in donor database.
- Provide support and guidance to volunteer leaders in their major donor recruitment activities to include Board members and Major Donor Committee members.
- -Serve as the staff liaison to the major donor committee and ensure that they are utilized in effectively engaging their networks to secure new major donors..
- -Provide training and support to staff members, major donor committee members, and Board members on how to hold effective ask meetings.
- -Accompany Board and major donor committee members on ask meetings, as needed.
- Manage major donor stewardship strategy.
- -Ensure that new major donors are systematically welcomed into the club.
- -Ensure that current major donors receive effective communications on programmatic updates, are continually thanked for their support, and engaged with the program.
- Conceive of and execute a calendar of cultivation and stewardship events that engage donors and prospects in the organization’s mission and program.
- -Work with other development department staff members to execute major donor events throughout the year.
- -Identify ways to utilize existing development events to recruit major donors.
- Coordinate major donor communications
- -Work with Communications Coordinator in creating strategic communications to major donors and prospects.
- -Provide timely updates on SMYAL programmatic work to major donor prospects and current club members.
- Support overall Development department activities as needed.
Candidate Characteristics and Qualifications:
- Passionate about the mission of SMYAL and uplifting LGBTQ youth.
- At least 3-4 years related development experience with, optimally, successful experience in frontline major gifts fundraising
- High-level of drive and energy to be regularly meeting, qualifying, and engaging prospects and donors
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with staff, Board members, donors, volunteers and a diverse group of community constituents
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding prospects and donors of $1,000 and more
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and to work calmly under pressure of goals and deadlines
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; engaging interpersonal skills.
- Tech savvy, must be comfortable in a digital-first environment. Proficient in donor database software, preferably eTapestry
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SMYAL Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line. Please submit all materials by February 28, 2020 for full consideration. LGBTQ individuals, women, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.